5 Things You Need in an Alaskan Home
Living in Alaska, we have some unique home needs that may differ from those living in the lower 48. If you’re planning on building or renovating your home, we’ve compiled a list of things to consider adding to your Alaskan home to make life a little bit easier.
1. Oversized garage. If you have an RV or other Alaskan toys, an oversized garage is a must have. It’ll keep everything safe from the elements, and give you a place to do mechanical work if the weather is less than ideal outside.
2. Mud room. With all of the snow and outdoor activities here in Alaska, a mud room is a great way to contain the dirt, water, and other things that may be on your shoes. Consider installing a shoe or boot rack so you don’t have to bring your dirty shoes inside your living space.
3. Outdoor kitchen. Our summers may be short lived, but an outdoor kitchen is a great way to relax and enjoy the beautiful warm summer weather and views. Consider adding a grill with a smoking function so you’re able to easily smoke salmon and other meats.
4. Oversized freezer. If you’re someone who likes to fish, an oversized freezer is a must have. It will keep your home stocked all year long.
5. Great lighting. Because our winters are so dark, it’s a good idea to have lots of lighting in your home. Consider LED lights which are generally brighter than traditional filament bulbs. They also have a longer lifespan so you won’t have to change them as frequently.
If you are planning a remodel, we would love to help you design and build your new space. Don’t hesitate to call us.