5 Reasons to Clean Your Gutters
If it has been a while since you’ve cleaned your home’s gutters, you may want to get to work! Your gutters play an important role in the overall function of your house. They help water drain from your roof and away from your home. It’s important to make sure your gutters are regularly cleaned and ensure they’re in proper working order. Here are a few reasons to clean your gutters this spring.
1. Prevents water damage. Clogged gutters prevent water from properly draining off of the roof and away from your house. This can result in water sitting and pooling on your roof. This causes leaks which can cause wood rot and damage your roof, ceiling, and walls.
2. Prevents animals from nesting. When gutters are filled with sticks, leaves, and other debris, animals can begin to build nests inside of them. Critters like birds, rodents, and insects like mosquitoes, have been known to live in gutters. They can eventually wear away at your roof by chewing or scratching, or even find their way into your home.
3. Prevents basement flooding. When water is unable to drain away from your home, it can pool by your home’s foundation, causing a flood or leak in your basement. This can result in mold and mildew growth.
4. Improves your curb appeal. Clogged gutters can affect your home’s curb appeal and overall home value. Neglecting your gutters and allowing for debris build up can make your home look unkept.
5. Extends the lifespan of your gutters. When gutters are filled with debris, they can cause them to become unnecessarily heavy. Your gutters can begin to pull away from the structure from your home which can cause structural damage.
Cleaning your gutters is so important to the overall upkeep of your home, and neglecting to regularly clean them can result in more serious problems. If you’ve experienced water or general home damage as a result of gutter problems, don’t hesitate to call us.