How to Prevent Mold Growth This Spring
As we gradually move into the spring season here in Alaska, it’s important to remain vigilant of potential home-related issues that come with the changing of the seasons. Spring brings melted snow, rain showers, and a higher concentration of moisture in the air. This can cause a potential mold risk when combined with the right elements. In order to prevent mold growth in the best way possible, here are a few tips to follow.
1. Repair any leaks. If you’ve noticed a water leak in your home, fix it immediately. Introducing water into your home can also introduce mold. If mold spores are present, the combination of water and warm temperatures can cause mold to begin growing.
2. Clean water spills. While you may think a small water spill will easily dry up on its own, it’s best to clean it up as soon as it happens. If your home has poor ventilation, it’s possible for a small spill to turn into something more problematic.
3. Wipe away condensation. As the weather changes, you might notice condensation beginning to form on windows, pipes, and walls. It’s important this gets wiped down and not left to dry on its own.
4. Monitor your humidity levels. Since mold thrives in humid environments, it’s important to keep an eye on your home’s humidity levels. Ideally it should be kept under 60%. If you have a particularly humid home, you may want to invest in a dehumidifier.
5. Install proper ventilation. If your bathroom or kitchen doesn’t have proper ventilation, it’s more likely you will see mold growth in these areas. Ventilation helps wet areas to dry out quicker, leaving less opportunity for mold growth to begin.
When it comes to mold prevention, vigilance and a quick response is key. If you are able to eliminate one of the of the factors that causes mold (humidity, moisture, and s food source), you can limit it from causing a problem in your home. Even with proper prevention, mold is still possible and can start growing in places beyond inside of your home. If you suspect your home has hidden mold of if you need a remediation team, don’t hesitate to call us. We will inspect your home, make a plan for removal, and ensure the mold doesn’t return again.
Anchorage: 907-344-1239 | Fairbanks: 907-455-1239 | Mat-Su: 907-373-1239