• Taylored Restoration

5 Household Items that Cause Electrical Fires

Electrical problems are one of the biggest causes of house fires. Most occur due to an unknown issue in the home. The best way to prevent electrical fires is to be aware of the causes and ways to prevent them from happening in your home.

1. Extension Cords. Extension cords are often misused, which could cause overheating and lead to an electrical fire. Extension cords should never be overloaded or plugged into one another. Never use an extension cord to run a major appliance - they should always be plugged into a wall outlet.

2. Space Heaters. While space heaters are convenient, they need to be regularly monitored and kept away from potentially flammable surfaces. When the coils of the space heater become hot and come in contact with a surrounding curtain, paper, or other material, it can easily start a fire.

3. Outdated Wiring. If you live in an older home, it’s possible that the wiring isn’t equipped to deal with the electrical demands of your lifestyle. Nowadays homes require significantly more electric than pre-technology times. It’s a good idea to have an electrician examine your electrical situation to ensure it’s up to date.

4. Light Fixtures. If your light fixture has the wrong wattage bulb, it could cause excessive heating which could result in a fire. Always check that you’ve purchased the correct bulb for your fixture to avoid any potential problems.

5. Faulty Outlets and Cords. It’s always a good idea to pay attention to the condition of your outlets and cords. Outlets and cords that are worn or frayed are one of the main causes of household fires.

If you’ve experienced a fire in your home, don’t hesitate to call our fire restoration team. We’ll make a plan to restore the damage and get it looking like new.

30 views0 comments