Remodel Mistakes to Avoid
Choosing to remodel your home is an exciting process. A remodel can change the way your home looks, functions, and makes you feel. When planning your remodel, it’s important to think of all possible aspects of the process to avoid any surprises along the way. We’re sharing a few mistakes to avoid when planning a remodel to set yourself up for a success.
1. Underestimating your budget. If you’ve ever seen a home remodel tv show, you may be familiar with the consequences of underestimating your budget. Always budget for potential problems so they don’t take you by surprise. This will save you a lot of stress and disappointment in the long run.
2. Being afraid to change a layout. Sometimes the best way to make your home function better is to change the layout. A new layout, especially in a kitchen or bathroom, can improve the overall flow of the space and may even provide you with more room. Don’t be afraid to think out of the box to create a better functioning space.
3. Not considering all of your options. Many people come into home renovations with strong preconceived ideas of materials they do or don’t want to use. It’s a good idea to consider all available options because you may discover a material that suits your lifestyle better.
4. Ignoring the behind the scenes. When it comes to things like energy efficient windows, ventilation systems, and other hidden items or features that you don’t always see - don’t skimp. Investing in high quality products will last longer over time and keep your home healthy in the long run.
5. Ordering too little flooring. When buying flooring like wood or tile, it’s best to order at least 20% extra than you think you need. It’s not unusual for some pieces to break or become damaged, and it’s better to have more than you need than to run out mid-project.
To get the most our of your remodel, it’s a good idea to hire a professional contractor to help successfully achieve your goals. We will walk you through the entire process from material selection, to design, to completion. Call us to find out more information.