5 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Fall
It’s hard to believe the summer is ending and we’re already thinking about the fall season. It seems like summer just started! As the seasons change, it’s important to start thinking about preparing your home for the cooler weather. There are several maintenance tasks you can do to make sure your home is in the best condition for the upcoming season.
1. Fix any cracks in asphalt and concrete. Take advantage of the nice weather to fix any cracks in your driveway or concrete. Cracks have a tendency to get worse during the colder months when water starts to freeze. By being proactive, you can prevent further damage in the future.
2. Clean your gutters. If you haven’t cleaned your gutters yet this year, now is a great time to do it. Clogged gutters can cause roof problems and leaking in the long run, so spending time to clean them out is well worth it. While you are on your roof, take a few minutes to examine it for any potentially damaged areas.
3. Inspect your furnace. If you haven’t had your furnace inspected in the past year, consider having a professional take a look at it. Make sure the filter has been replaced to keep it in great working order when it is time to turn it on.
4. Clean your chimney. If you regularly use a fireplace or wood burning stove, it’s time to have the chimney cleaned and inspected for the upcoming season. This will give you plenty of time to make any repairs before you need to use it.
5. Add extra lighting. Since Alaska is so dark in the winter, it’s a good idea to consider adding extra lighting to your home. You can install permanent fixtures in dark corners, or purchase temporary pieces like lamps for any place that needs some extra light. When the fall and winter comes, you’ll enjoy it.
Being proactive before fall hits will help you ease into the new season and enjoy all of the things that come with it. If you need any repairs done around your house, call us. We offer handyman services to make your life easier - no job is too big or too small.