• bobm949

5 Bad Habits That Could Start a House Fire


Did you know your everyday bad habits could potentially lead to a house fire? It’s important to be aware of these actions to prevent a fire from starting in your home. Here’s what to look out for in your daily life to improve the overall fire safety of your home.

Not Regularly Cleaning Your Dryer Lint. Did you know that lint is flammable? Allowing your dryer lint to build up could easily cause a potential fire. It’s easy to see how the hot temperature combined with a large amount of lint is a recipe for disaster. Not only is cleaning your lint screen easy, but it also improves the efficiency of your dryer.

Using Your Laptop on a Soft Surface. Laptops have a tendency to get very hot when used, and they require the use of an internal vent fan to cool down. When laptops are left on a soft surface, the vent can become obstructed, causing it to overheat and catch fire. This can be prevented by using your laptop on a hard surface at all times.

Using too many Extension Cords. With so much home technology these days, it’s easy to see how extension cords can become overloaded. Using a significant amount of cords over a long period of time could cause it to short circuit and start a fire. To prevent this, make sure to always unplug any cords you aren’t using, and don’t overload extension cords.

Ignoring Your Range Hood. As you cook, the range hood above your cooktop collects grease. If this grease isn’t regularly cleaned, it could potentially build up to the point where it drips down to the cooktop, starting a fire. Make sure to add your vent hood to your to-do list when cleaning the kitchen.

Using the Wrong Wattage Bulbs. Have you ever used a light bulb that exceeded the wattage for the fixture? While this may be an innocent mistake, using a bulb whose wattage is too high is a leading cause of house fires. To prevent this from happening, always check the wattage of your fixture before screwing in lightbulbs.

Remember, you can prevent a house fire by being aware of the daily activities that could potentially cause one. Make sure to follow these easy steps to decrease the chance of a fire in your home.

Three Locations Serving Alaska:

(907) 344-1239

8535 Dimond D Circle, Suite A

Anchorage, AK 99515

(907) 373-1239

276 East Danna Avenue, Suite B

Wasilla, AK 99654

(907) 455-1239

1896 Marika Road #7

Fairbanks, AK 99709

Anchoage Location
Mat-Su Location
Fairbanks Location