• bobm949

Can Aluminum Wiring Cause Electrical Fires?

Several decades ago, aluminum wiring was regularly put into new homes because it was less expensive than copper wiring. Though it’s rare nowadays, it is still a controversial topic that affects homeowners across the country. Aluminum wiring is often found in homes built between 1960 and 1972, and has been a known cause of electrical fires. Luckily, there are ways to remedy the situation if you have aluminum wiring in your home.

Problems with aluminum wiring happen at the connection points. When the points are exposed to air they can rust. The rust resists the electrical current, generating heat and making it prone to starting a fire. The connection points can also become loose and short circuit, creating sparks.

If you have aluminum wiring in your home, you could be at risk. There’s two different ways to fix the situation. The first is to replace all the wiring in your home with copper wire. While this is the more expensive option, you will have the comfort of knowing the wiring inside of your home is safe. The second option is to replace the connection points where the wire is exposed. Since the connection points are where electrical fires commonly occur, replacing them will make them much safer.

If you live in a home built in 1972 or earlier and suspect you may have aluminum wiring, contact a licensed electrician who can do an evaluation on your home.

Three Locations Serving Alaska:

(907) 344-1239

8535 Dimond D Circle, Suite A

Anchorage, AK 99515

(907) 373-1239

276 East Danna Avenue, Suite B

Wasilla, AK 99654

(907) 455-1239

1896 Marika Road #7

Fairbanks, AK 99709

Anchoage Location
Mat-Su Location
Fairbanks Location