Preventing Mold After a Flood
No one expects to experience flooding in their home, but unfortunately it’s not an uncommon problem. Floods can occur when a pipe bursts or after a heavy rain or snowfall. If you're faced with this problem, it's important to know what to do to after the water has been removed. When a home floods, water gets everywhere - even into the building materials. Proper damage assessment after a flood is key in making sure your home doesn’t grow harmful mold after the water is gone.
The first thing to do after a flood occurs is to move all the affected items to a cool, dry area. Anything that has been damaged needs to be dried out completely to prevent the growth of mold. Some hard items may be able to be dried with a cloth, while others may need the assistance of a fan. After everything is dry, assess which items can be saved and which are beyond repair. Some rugs can be dry cleaned and restored, while others will have to be thrown out.
Once the water has been removed from your home, it’s important to mark the water levels on the walls. Walls are porous and very susceptible to mold growth. Even if it’s not visible to the naked eye, there could be mold developing inside the walls. Since mold grows quickly and can be a health hazard, it’s important to call a specialist right away. Marking the walls will help the restoration specialist access the situation easier, and he or she will be able to focus on the targeted area.
If you are experiencing water or mold damage it’s important to seek professional help. Give us a call to schedule your assessment.