5 Tips for a Smoother Move
Moving your home can one of the most stressful things you have to do. Packing and organizing can be overwhelming and it’s hard to know where to begin. Luckily, once you’ve gotten the hang of moving a few times, it does get easier. We’ve compiled advice from a few expert movers to help you along the process.
1. Make a plan. When diving head first into moving and packing, the best thing you can do is to make a plan and write it down. Create a timetable and list the rooms you need to pack, in order. Having a visual representation will keep you organized and on schedule.
2. Label boxes accordingly. It may seem time consuming, but labeling your boxes really pays off. Instead of only labeling boxes by room, get more specific by listing the contents as well. For example, “Living Room: Books,” will help you locate any item you might need with ease. Imagine going through ten different Living Room boxes just to locate a single book!
3. Donate what you no longer need. While packing your items you may come across things you haven’t seen or used in a long time. Instead of moving these unused items to a closet in your new home, set them aside to donate to a good cause. In the end you’ll be happy to have less to move and less to unpack.
4. Eliminate distractions. With so much technology around these days, it’s easy to find distractions and procrastinate when it comes to moving. Turn off your cell phone, computer, and television. If possible, hire a babysitter. Give packing your full attention to speed up the process and allow for more efficient use of your time.
5. Ask for help. One of the final and most time consuming pieces of moving is cleaning up your home after everything has been moved out. You’ve spent your energy packing, lifting, and organizing. Finding motivation to deep clean afterwards can be difficult. Consider hiring a professional to help with this step. It’s an easy solution to ensure the job gets done correctly. Your home will be clean and ready to go for its next occupants. If you’re interested, we’re happy to help.
We wish you the best of luck on your move and the start of the new chapter in your life!