• Taylored Restoration

5 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe

1)Watch out for leaks.

Did you know that leaks that are left alone can cause mold growth? Be sure to fix leaks found in your home right away. Check faucets, dishwashers, washing machines, toilets and basement drains near the sump pump. If you see mold, clean it with a solution of soap and water because it can lead to respiratory issues and poor air quality in your home.

2) Change your filters regularly.

There are an average of 2-5 times more pollutants inside your home than outside. Some furnace filters capture more pollutants than others. To ensure you are maximizing this amount, change your filters regularly and use an ultimate allergen reduction filter which can help capture 93 percent of large airborne particles. This includes dust, pollen, mold spores and dust mites. Other microscopic particles such as smoke, smog and pet dander can carry bacteria and harmful viruses, so it’s important to replace your filters at least once every 3 months. If you are renovating, be sure to change them every 2 weeks,

3)Be Prepared for a Fire.

When a fire strikes, they happen fast and can spread quickly. Keep fire extinguishers handy around the house and particularly in high risk areas such as the kitchen, basement and bedrooms. Make sure your family members know how to properly use them and check for expiry dates. You’ll need to replace them if they have expired. It’s also good to discuss an evacuation route with all members of the family. This is particularly important when you have young children at home.

4)Perform an Electrical Clean-up.

Electricity is nothing to mess with and many of our homes amenities depend on it to work properly. By checking all sources in your home regularly, you’ll be able to take note of frayed wires, or loose cables. Anything that seems worn down or damaged should be replaced by a professional immediately. Check all heat sources in your home, including space heaters. Unplug appliances when they are not being used, especially when leaving for a long vacation. Do not overload outlets with too many plugs, as this can cause electrical sparks which lead to a fire. If you ever smell or see signs of burning near an outlet, remove the plugin right away and hire a licensed electrician to repair it.

5)Keep Up with Maintenance.

Owning a home is wonderful, but it also requires a lot of hardwork to keep it running well. No matter how old your home is, they all require routine maintenance. Some homeowners may brush off minor issues like cracks in the foundation or a pinhole leak in the plumbing, but turning a blind-eye to these issues will lead to bigger problems in the future. Taking care of small problems as they show up, avoids bigger problems, saving you time and money.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All