• bobm949

Do You Know the 5 Most Common Household Hazards?

There is no better feeling than coming home. It’s the place where you and your family should feel most comfortable. It’s the place where you lay your head at night and make some of your best memories. So, isn’t it important to ensure you are living in a safe environment? Without proper maintenance, your home can potentially harm you. So, what are the 5 most common household hazards we need to look out for?

Mold - Not only is the presence of mold unsightly, but it’s also an allergy you don’t want within your walls, along your ceilings or hiding in your attic. Different types of mold can cause different types of reactions. You know you have mold growing in your home if you smell an earthy, musty scent. If you find black (or toxic) mold in your home, be sure to contact a professional to safely remove the mold right away.

Asbestos - What was commonly used as a building material up until the mid-20th century, asbestos was later deemed a very dangerous carcinogen that was linked to mesothelioma cancer. If you live in an older home, you may find traces of it. If left undisturbed or unexposed, it is not harmful to you. But, if you start to renovate an area it’s possible that it may become airborne leading to health problems. Always leave this type of handy work to professionals.

Fire - Did you know that 7 people in the U.S. die each day from average house fires? Yes, it’s true. Common activities such as cooking, burning a candle for ambiance or using a household appliance causes a large amount of house fires. And, don’t forget one major fire starter in the home - your dryer. Always ensure to clear that lint trap. Electrical fires are nothing to mess with and are a big deal. So much so, that they are the number one cause of house fires.

Slippery Floors - How many times have you stepped out of the shower and into a pool of water? The bathroom floor is one of the most slippery surfaces in a person’s home and can be very dangerous to people of all ages. Wet tiles can lead to some serious falls and ones that can result in hitting your head. Take extra caution when in these areas.

Carbon Monoxide - It’s a silent killer we are all afraid of. Carbon monoxide poisoning results in thousands of preventable deaths each year. Improperly ventilated appliances like stoves, water heaters and gas appliances are partly to blame, along with improperly cleaned chimneys that cause smoke to circulate throughout the home.

Taking good care of your home with routine cleaning and maintenance by yourself and a trained team of professionals will ensure your home continues to be your safe place for years to come.

Three Locations Serving Alaska:

(907) 344-1239

8535 Dimond D Circle, Suite A

Anchorage, AK 99515

(907) 373-1239

276 East Danna Avenue, Suite B

Wasilla, AK 99654

(907) 455-1239

1896 Marika Road #7

Fairbanks, AK 99709

Anchoage Location
Mat-Su Location
Fairbanks Location