Water Damage: The Next 48 Hours
Updated: Jan 24
When water damage occurs in your home or business, it’s important to know what happens in the next 48 hours to 1 week. This will allow you to assess the damage level and determine when to call an expert in to handle your situation. Here’s what to look for:
First 24 hours:
• FURNITURE FINISHES MAY BLEED CAUSING PERMANENT STAINING ON CARPETS, SWELLING AND POTENTIAL WEAKENING OF SUPPORT. METAL FINISHES WILL TARNISH.
• ANY PAPER PRODUCTS, BOXES, PHOTOGRAPHS, BOOKS AND PAPER DECOR WILL START TO SWELL AND WARP
• DRYWALL ABSORBS WATER AND BEGINS TO SWELL AND BREAK DOWN
• A MUSTY ODOR BEGINS AS THE BEGINNING STAGES OF MOLD AND MILDEW HAVE THE IDEAL ENVIRONMENT TO START GROWING AND SPREADING
• ANY PAPER PRODUCTS, PHOTOGRAPHS AND DECOR ABSORB WATER, SWELL AND CAN BE RUINED DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF WATER IN THE AREA
• MOLD AND MILDEW BEGIN TO THRIVE IF THE AREA HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY AIRED AND CLEANED
• YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS CAN SHOW SIGNS OF SWELLING AD WARPING
• FURNITURE AFFECTED CAN BECOME MOLDY AND METAL FINISHES WILL RUST
• PAINT CAN START TO PEEL AND BLISTER IN AREAS OF WATER DAMAGE
• SERIOUS BIOHAZARD CONTAMINATION IS POSSIBLE IN SEVERE CASES
After 48 hours, your problems can become severe leading to an unsafe living/working environment which is why it’s wise to call an expert immediately before your water damage problems become more severe and more expensive to take care of. Let the experts take care of you when you have a water damage issue, so you can rest easy at night knowing the problem has been taken care of immediately and properly.
If you or someone you know has had recent water damage or ever have this issue in the future, give Alaska’s #1 Restoration Company a call so we can get your situation taken care of as soon as possible to eliminate threats in your home or business!
Anchorage: 344.1239 | Mat-Su: 373.1239 | Fairbanks: 455.1239